Leeds Pottery was originally founded in Hunslet, a village just outside Leeds, in around 1756. In its early years it was owned by members of two families, both called Green, who were then joined by a Lancashire businessman, William Hartley, giving the company the name under which it became famous; Hartley Greens & Co.
Hartley Greens & Co produced several kinds of pottery but was particularly famous for its Creamware. This was a new type of earthenware made from white Cornish clay combined with a translucent glaze to produce its characteristic pale cream colour. Creamware was perfect for making the elegant and highly decorative tableware in demand in the Georgian age. Although it was also made by many other companies, the commercial success and outstanding quality of the Leeds product meant that in time all Creamware came to be popularly known as "Leedsware".
Today Hartley Greens & Co Leeds Pottery continues to produce its world-famous creamware for the table and as giftware and manufactures its sort-after, painstakingly crafted, pierced ware entirely by hand in Stoke-on-Trent, England.